Monday, September 10, 2012

#588 Jerry Lee Lewis - High School Confidential

You might know the Elvis of Sun records circa '56: this is the other side of that coin. Same time, same place, sporting a similar balance of ballads and boogie blues uprockers, both of which sound similar, sung with a similar voice, Lewis is Elvis with a Piano.

That one detail does lend a different flavor, a bit more of a shuffled, raggy, honkytonk flair that would crop up again in rockabilly and Americana revivals alike in the years that followed. But the music is still largely a backdrop for the vocals and their alternately lovesick and rebellious messages.

I've said it before, Elvis isn't actually my favorite sub-sound of this era, and this falls in the same slot for me. Worth hearing, but mostly for historical reasons, or when I want something with a slightly different flavor after I've burned out on Bo Diddley and Gene Vincent 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment