Tuesday, September 4, 2012

#574 Dr. John - The Sun, Moon & Herbs

By now Dr. John has settled into a pretty consistent sound and I've just about run out of things to say about him. The build towards Exile era Stones and Van Morrison vocals climaxes on Familiar Reality, complete with noodly Americana guitar flourishes - its actually a pretty catchy track though, I gotta admit, with ample soul, hooky horns, rollicking basslines, and borderline hiphop elements. Now that's a track I want to sample.

Elsewhere, tracks like Craney Crow and Pots on Fiyo manage to capture a bit of that loose, improvisational murkiness that made Dr. John's earliest work worth hearing, and now there's a bit more of an overt build, for better or worse.

Probably the best fusion of the old and new (as much as one can have two eras in the span of about 3 years, dude's prolific!) styles, I'm a little curious what came next, but good god I feel like I was born writing about this guy 3.5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment