Tuesday, April 17, 2012

#509 Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica

I admit it, when I first heard this I went "what IS this?", in a good way. This was when some very stoned artist friends-of-friends put on the recod, and the setting helped make it otherworldly. This is loopy ambient sludge with roots in instrumental hip hop, but pushed to genuinely new places, as samples are stretched through unknown dimensions and turned into physical-feeling sounds and a balance of space and tension and negative space and release is erected. That said, I can't quite chill out to it, and I can't see what else its good for. I'll bet there's a drug where this album is ideal as a companion. But unless you find it, its a brilliant curiosity that I wouldn't necessarily recommend putting on, ever 3.5/5

Though I'll be this would make a killer soundtrack, its Angelo Badalamenti squared.

No comments:

Post a Comment