Thursday, April 5, 2012

#504 Nation of Ulysses - 13 Point Program to Destroy America

Well, I pushed myself pretty hard to get to that 500 mark, and I guess I burned out a little. The good news is, I've still been tracking new listens. The bad news is, its now September 24th and I'm now about 80 reviews behind. Yikes.

(Post dates correspond to date listened, not reviewed)

Part of the problem is the burden of the review: I was trying to write actual reviews of actual substance, and that's pretty tough when you're a) working for an album or so a day b) sometimes only giving them a single listen c) juggling actual jobs and lives. I'm not in college anymore here! Remember all the free time?

So I'm just going to bust through these - I guess its another experiment in ways to write about music.

The goal will be to tell you what you need to know in as few words as possible. At least until I change my mind again. And this is about to get buried in dozens of tiny reviews anyway, and will be read by no one.

Onward!

---

Thrashy stompy fast punk that bridges the gap between enraged sneeriness of The Dead Kennedys and the slightly more artful, whinier, proto-emo, post-hardcore sound of band like DC-mates Fugazi, or heck, outright indie bands like The Dismemberment Plan and Modest Mouse.

The guitars are The Fall tinyfoil, the vocals strained and desperate, demanding more than commanding.

It's hooky at times, but the moment has perhaps passed: you might be better served listening to something earlier and harder or later and more tuneful.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment