Saturday, December 17, 2011

#421 Real Estate - Days

Further plumbing the popular consensus on the hotest 2011 hotness.

This is a perfectly pleasant piece of reverby, pleasant, meandering indie pop-rock to get washed away in, evoking the relentless pulse of Broken Social Scene, the lush bounce of early Shins, the guitar wash of early Swervedriver, in turn. Chiming guitars are everywhere, the drums chug, and the vocals bounce Band of Horses ethereal off of the heavens.

Its quite gorgeous actually, and in my artsincrafts first listen bliss it was about perfect. My main complaint is that the songs all sound a bit the same by the end, with that same chiming washing over everything in sight, front to back, with only standout It's Real managing to really distinguish itself with a legitimate hooky hook.

I'll have to see, I could see it being a You Forgot it In People meets Oh Inverted World grower, but I think its sameyness is going to hold it back for most listeners 3.5/5

You might like this if: you like pretty, chiming guitars and ethereal vocals. That's the third time I've said "chiming" in this post, but listen to this album and tell me I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment