Thursday, December 8, 2011

#417 Feed Me - Feed Me's Big Adventure

Another album I heard a bit of at Mike's house that I decided to check out proper.

I feel like I shouldn't like this, maybe because he's affiliated with DeadMouseWitha5SomehowImNotGonnaGoogleIt and Skrillex, who I sense a backlash against these days. And sure its nothing new, big beats, jagged synth loops, the occaisional post-IDM squiggles. But man, he pull it together really nicely, and the devil's in the details. Sure its just a synth loop on White Spirit, but what a synth sound he gets, just so goddamned squonky, so noisy and buzzy and rich with texture, and then at 3 minute he wheels it out into proggy arpeggiation proper with raveup stab-and-build, and gets just choppy enough to be interesting without breaking flow. Fact is, its a goddamn well-executed song, with some real filth and organic slink to it.

And yeah, there's a hint of the D word in there, but its used to good effect here. You get a touch of wobble, a bit of chop, a bit of swerve, but all in service of the beat. Its Girl Talk vs Jason Forrest/Early Dan Deacon/Early Girl Talk, in that its well-tuned to the listener's needs and knows just how much to subvert expectations without breaking the spell. Maybe I'm a sucker or a philistine for falling for it, but I dig it.

And yeah, it gets a little wearying by the end, but I gotta give credit for the degree to which it got in my ear, even with a not-my-favorite-genre penalty in play 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment