Saturday, September 24, 2011

#399 No Age - Everything In Between

[[ hah! oops. already reviewed as #188. I guess I'll leave this here -- 7/24/18 ]]

--

I'm pretty sure this had been sitting on my mp3 player unnoticed for months, until one train ride home I went, hey, what's this? Have I heard this? I pretty quickly found out, no I had not.

[[ correction: I had.  ]]

And I was immediately glad I did. And then I was gladder still.

This is a good album, with plenty of signature No Age moments, sounding more stonedly sentimental and gorgeously noisefucked than ever; the 1-2 punch of Fever Dreaming and Depletion is, in particular, an asskicker.

But the reason these work so well is the album that lead up to them, and follows them. This is an perfectly paced album, pulling you through the ups and downs of buzzsaw peril and fuzzsaw ambiance at all the right moments, smothering you in tension, smothering the tension in hugs. The overall effect was pretty stunning.

Caveats: this was heard through headphones, loud beyond loud, on trains home on a late night. This is somehow the perfect setting for this album, and its wholly possible that your mileage (and, in fact, my future mileage) [[ and in fact my past mileage! ]] will vary. But in a record of my first impressions, this one knocked my socks off the way I have been wanting Deerhunter, Wavves, and previous No Age to for years. The newgaze/buzzpop/slackpunk/post-alternative/whatevver album of my dreams is, if fleetingly as a dream, finally here 4.5/5

You might like this if: you like noisy ambient pop punk on the order of Deerhuner/Wavves/A Place to Bury strangers and happen to be on a train, with your headphones on, and don't mind some hearing loss. [[ its weird I used to do this ]]

No comments:

Post a Comment