Thursday, September 15, 2011

#398 Battles - Gloss Drop

I actually cannot remember how I decided to look these guys up again, I wasn't really all that into Mirrored, but something outside my usual circles got me excited enough about this album to check it out.

Thing is, I really wanted to like Mirrored. The live drums, the offkilter Health-like energy, but other than Atlas, it just didn't end up moving me overmuch, just didn't quite have enough structure. Here though, it works, weaving some perfect electronic/rock balances together: ostinato that straddles trancy loop and rockist riff, buildup flow that straddles raveup techno and proggy extravagance, minimal spaciness against shoegazey density, experimental twist pitted against sudden guitar shredline, and on top of it all a crisp set of live drums that just pops and pops.

The overall effect strikes a really delightful balance of background and foreground, between atmosphere and energy that makes it nearly perfect work music. And then there are great pieces of swervy contrast, like Wall Street's switchback from skittery bleeps into a great Genesis organ-and-guitar-wall, moments that keep you on your toes and give you something to look forward to. I don't love the two vocals-featuring tracks at the album's core, and I think that this is one whose flame will dull to a persistent but unspectacular ember, but it's caught me nicely enough to earn the very high end of 4/5

You might like this if: You like rockist techno like Justice and Daft Punk, but don't might something a bit more jazzy and sprightly. You like live drums in your electronic beepbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment