Friday, August 5, 2011

#381 Twin Sister - Color Your LIfe EP

I felt like I kept seeing these folks mentioned, figured I'd better find out what the fuss is. So out of touch.

It's interesting stuff. Heavy, ambient, textured, arty, slathered in reverb, all hooked together in unpredictable, interesting ways; so packed with details that this kind of first-listen review is even more useless than usual. I feel like I'm still kind of figuring it out. Some songs work better than others: Galaxy Plateau is just too ambient for me, but The Other Side of Your Face has a great motorik pulse at heart, while All Around and Away We Go sounds like something off a late Air album, from an alternate universe where they got more interesting as time when on, instead of more boring.

And of course, at the center is Andrea Estella's voice, which is one of those raspy, breathy, nervous, hyper-affected beasts that I never know quite what to make of, landing somewhere between a weirder Laurie Anderson and a toned-down Joanna Newsom. It's a curious one. It didn't quite move me, but it piqued my interest 3.5/5

You might like this if: you like interesting, dense, reverby, deliberately-paced art-rock and/or delicate, wily female vocals.

No comments:

Post a Comment