Friday, August 5, 2011

#380 Typhoon - Hunger and Thirst

Recommended strongly by someone I met online. Always taking rec's!

Here you have some pretty stark, slightly devastating near-emo indie rock, evoking Okkervil River's operatic sweep in particular, with hints of The Mountain Goats, Bright Eyes and the usual similar suspects. Musically, there's a frail vocal backbone through it, but the band surges prog-huge over and over again, coming in with brokedown angular waltz rhythms, NMH hotel horn peans, and choral swoons. It really comes together best on the more upbeat, complex tracks like CPR Claws pt 2., the more stripped-down songs are just to bare to me.

Rumor is the singer was in the midst of some potentially-terminal disease during the album's creation, so I suppose I can't fault someone for singing about what they know, but I'm just not in a place in my life to enjoy song after song ruminating on sickness and death 2.5/5

You might like this if: You like big, complex folky indie, and are up for some pretty stark discussions of emptiness and mortality.

No comments:

Post a Comment