Friday, June 24, 2011

#371 Steely Dan - Katy Lied

Lets try one more of these!

Here again, I'm not in love. The instrumentation seems simpler in construction, the vocals less passionate, the sentiments more bland. It sounds like a band, having tried to stretch a bit, settling back into an accessible, core sound.

That said, this inspired me to return to Countdown to Ecstasy, and the difference isn't all that marked. Maybe it's all about expectations - I came into Countdown unsure and was surprised at how good it was, and with Katy Lied and Pretzel Logic I had a standard in mind that they didn't live up to. Or maybe the newness has just worn off, as I dig into the catalog of a curiously imaginative/unimaginative band.

Caveats aside, I do think this is a more bland album. The performances seems a bit auto-pilot, and the sound is of a perfectly talented house band at a mid-high-end touristy California beach town restaurant and bar. Good, smooth, and only a little bit more. I do like the speed-up-slow-down-speed-up chorus on Bad Shoes, but I can't say I'm otherwise more than mildly pleased and a little bored 3/5

You might like this if: See Pretzel Logic. If you're in the mood for smooth, perfectly good poppy light rock and have already heard Countdown to Ecstasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment