Tuesday, June 14, 2011

#366 Cults - Cults

Another sign I'm busy, I don't even do the legwork to find bands, just hit up pitchfork's latest and greatest.

I likened the Russian Futurists to The Magnetic Fields, if they were smothered in blankets. Its the overblown, big bass, big beat sound, tons of reverb, the entire thing pulsing off itself, a sound that the Tough Alliance would later cop, and that probably has indie pop origins to the beggining of recorded sound. And here's the latest entry.

Its not a sound I'm so into these days, all a bit dense, all a bit bloated, and in this case it isn't used to puff up simple, catchy pop songs, but more weighty, swoony, Tegan and Seraism. The result reflects off itself, echoes off itself so densely that I don't think there's any room for me in there. Abducted starts promisingly, but after that, it's not for me 2.5/5

You might like this if: You're into bassy, reverbey pop, with a slightly angsty girl singer over top. Also, my gut is that girls are more likely to like this than boys are.

No comments:

Post a Comment