Wednesday, May 25, 2011

#360 Big K.R.I.T. - Return of 4eva

On the way back from the cabin album. Another pitchy one! I just needed something new, stat!

This is distinctly from the school of rapping about being a rapper - talking about touring, getting rich, being rich, plus the explorations of regret and fear common in the post Jay-Z rap world. This isn't to dismiss this album. Or, maybe it kind of is. The beats are fine, the rapping is fine, but there's nothing to really hook me in here, nothing to set this apart from a lot of similar albums I've heard. There's no "oh shit!" lines, and maybe that kind of showmanship isn't cool in the hardline rap world, but I like that shit. I don't want it so smooth that it just rides by in the background. It's fine, very fine, very smooth, very skilled even, in its way, but nothing more 3/5

You might like this if: You want some rap for driving around to, or slumming around all night to, something that will bob your head without demanding your attention overmuch.

No comments:

Post a Comment