Saturday, December 18, 2010

#252 The Shaggs - Philosophy of the World

Back! Was plumbing some 90's lists and came across this.

Backstory: teenage girls get coerced into recording an album by their father. They can't play for crap. This is possibly one of the most talentless albums I've ever heard, it makes the sex pistols sound like rush. And the result is mostly unlistenable: poorly sung, lyrics a parody of simplicity, everything slightly off rhythm. It sounds like what it is. I will never listen to this again, is my guess.

That said, it was totally worth having heard once. There is something unique about it, something slightly charming in its utter naivete. All the roundabout postmodern praise I could give has already been given, and is the only kind of praise you can give this, so lets keep it quick. If you're feeling patient, brace yourself and hear it once. Believe it or not, I'm being generous with 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment