Monday, November 1, 2010

#217 John Spencer Blues Explosion - Orange

I totally listened to this almost a week ago, so I'm pre-dating the post. I have been BUSY. I read a review of the reissue of this on pitchfork and realized I'd never really heard them, so let's check it.

I think I thought these guys were a lot more pop. Instead, they're downright scuzzy, sounding like early Beck (who I find out they toured with). And while I'm reluctant to compare everyone who sounds ramshackle and high and unpredictable and 90's to Ween... these guys sound like Ween. Or maybe Primus, or Beefheart, you know the type by now, but with a lot more riffage and general chops.

I don't know that I have a lot of use for this, its so aggressively weird without quite being Ween/Beefheart inspiring, nor Beck catchy, but it was totally worth hearing enough for 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment