Tuesday, October 16, 2018

#3199 Daryll Hall - Sacred Songs

I hate when my thunder gets stolen. Allmusic commenter Nick Austin says:

What would a record sound like recorded by Daryl Hall and Robert Fripp? Like this.

And who's to argue with that. I mean, I love Babs and Bads, but it's as stark a division as you an imagine, an artrock stomp descending into full on Eno-style Frippery on a dime, no attempt to cover for the contrast at all. I kind of admire how harsh the transition is. Never heard anything quite like it.

You'd expect the marriage between Hall and collaborator to be smoother but its like -- my turn fucker -- and the knob turns into full nonsense. What a wildly harsh combination. A genuinely fascinating failure that goes all the way around the horn to brilliant somehow.

Undeserved bonus points around the surge of airplane noise and Tufts chatter that passed by my fall window, right in tune with this album's wiles, right as I closed this out 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment