Wednesday, July 25, 2018

#2986 Nektar - Journey to the Center of the Eye

I think I recently mildly offended an investor by dismissing Dream Theater as virtuoso prog. And having opinions about prog subgenres is next level pretentious bullshit. But man, I'll take guys who build themes and structure and atmosphere over faster meedlies anyday. And Nektar's the former.

Themes arise and return! Songs melt into ambiance! You get that delicious Lynchian discordance of uncanny familiarity, of the world sent slightly askew. And while I'm in deep coolness debt anyway, Astronaut's Nightmare is basically a mashup of While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Genesis's The Knife, those martial beats and endlessly descending basslines. Pet theory: the The Journey to the Center of the Eye takes place entirely within the dying final seconds of the soldier from The Knife's life.

Goodnight Boston! 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment