Wednesday, March 21, 2018

#2857 Portishead - Dummy

as said in slack in thread about how I'd never actually listened to Dummy

' what does it say about me that I like something way more when I hear that it was recorded interestingly : / '

I don't really like any of the songs on this album. But I do like the druggy, dense feel of the full album listen. And I do like the production, doubly so when I hear how analog it was, how special that distant, detached feel really was. It's easy to mistake for all the cheap detuned fuckery we've gotten in the meantime.

An album I'd probably have loved if I'd caught it at the right time, but in 2018 I can only really appreciate it as an artifact. Shitty producers can do this shittily now, but good producers can do it better 3/5

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that it's wrong to enjoy something more once you know how it was made. I think it's good that we get more interested in things and appreciate them more as we know more about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I know I guess - I'm just giving myself shit because I intellectualize things to death. I don't even know if I actually like music sometimes.

    ReplyDelete