Friday, April 29, 2016

#2033 The Rolling Stones - Undercover

Stones get no respect. Did you know they put out 11 albums that produced #1 singles? That's some Beatles/Elvis bullshit. By my count they have at least 10 great albums. But most peoples' record on them seems to go Satisfaction->Some other song?->Start Me Up?->30 years of "those guys still around?". Maybe those rough 30 years tarnished their image.

This was their first album in 14 years to fail to go to #1, the beginning of the end. It's forgettable. No real bite, no real hookiness, lousy pacing, too-crisp 80's drums. Everything is a halfhearted version of something they'd done before. They held their own through disco, but this was a soulless step too far.

The 80's! Those 10 years ruined every band. I was listening to Don't Come Around Here No More the other night and wondering how Tom Petty got a pass on sounding every bit as plastic and limp as every shitty pop act of the era. I digress 2.5/5

2 comments:

  1. I've always picked "honky tonk women" and "paint it black" as my 2 favorite stones songs. Then maybe satisfaction. But start me up? Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did you find this thing? did I link you to it?

    totally, Start Me Up sucks, I'm more of a Hang Fire, Mother's Little Helper, Rocks Off, Beast of Burden guy. And undeniably the three you mention too, when I'm not being a hipster

    but that's kind of my point, people think of the Stones and they think of their kinda lame late-era stuff and take all their actual great shit that happened in between for granted

    ReplyDelete