Wednesday, June 3, 2015

#1775 Charles Mingus - Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus

A greatest hits retrospective, Mingus and a new band recording some of his greats.

And it's great. Because the songs are great, because these renditions have just enough rawness, just enough edge and darkness and grit and spark.

No great Jazz, fan, I. And this is probably not as legitimate as the groundbreaking first passes. But to you and I, we presumed rock-firsters, this is about as thrilling a listen as you'll find in jazz, fucking packed with brilliant texture and tune 4.5/5

4 comments:

  1. What's prompting all the jazz recently? I'm diggin' it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's prompting all the jazz recently? I'm diggin' it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, good question.. I've been rewatching the Ken Burns Jazz doc again for some reason so that goosed me to hit some unknowns, and I've been really trying to make sure I've thoroughly surveyed the 60's lately - with just about all the rock covered some Jazz is finding its way in.

    God it's hard for me to write anything intelligent about it though, just don't have the background

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea why my instinct was to capitalize jazz. Twice. That's how bad it intimidates me I guess

    ReplyDelete