Monday, July 8, 2013

#936 AC/DC - Back in Black

I hate AC/DC. I hate their sniveling attitude and I hate their music.

Mostly. I'm battling some cognative dissonance here, but I gotta admit I kinda liked this album. I stand by hating Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, but where that album was childish and inane, Back in Black has actually grown a pair, getting over whatever petulant insecurities its ancestor carried and coming out with some actual swagger. For the first time, I get the appeal of this band. The riffs are generally excellent, the solos occasionally incendiary, and the overall package and pacing are just downright solid. That was all true before, but the singing and sentiment and overall image was just too pissy to get past.

Don't get me wrong, Brian Johnson's voice is still just as fucking terrible as Bon Scott's, and you've still got high poetry like Given the Dog a Bone and Let Me Put My Love Into You, but for once the band's attitude wasn't so overpoweringly awful that I couldn't appreciate its musical charms. Very faint praise indeed, but given how much I loathed this band a year ago, call it progress 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment