Thursday, November 29, 2012

#648 Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city

A staggering album in ways I still can't get my head around, as a loose, half-remembered, remorseful tragedy unfolds, possibly in reverse, over decidedly retro-inspired beats. This is the kind of narrative, tough-life big beat hip hop that I can't get into, but there's something curiously compelling about this. I could go do some research (look at the size of this wikipedia page!) and figure out what it's all about, but I think most of what I like about the album is the mystery and the promise of figuring it out. There's the suggestion of richness here. I'll get into it and get back to you.

In the meantime, the actual production is too minimal to move me, and the actual rapping is uneven at best, falling into that trap of repeating its most annoying moments (Backseat Freestyle is more or less unbearable), but the promise of an overarching premise keeps me interested 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment