Thursday, August 23, 2012

#566 Debo Band - Debo Band

Local (Boston) world music band, riding deep instrumental funk grooves through various influences, pulling in instrumentation, rhythms, lyrics, scales and track titles from a variety of sources, smelling a bit Jazz / Asian Psychadelic / Klezmer / African and more, sometimes all at once (I'm told the core inspiration is Ethiopian, though I won't claim for a second to have recognized anything that specific on my own).

This is a lot heavier, a lot head-bobbinger, a lot more pop, even, than you might expect from a label like "world music", but I can't help but use it: it seems more appropriate here than on most of the things you'd find in the world-music-labeled bin at the record store (remember those?).

Call me closed-minded, but I can't quite listen to a lot of these non-Western structures and sounds without being put a bit on edge though. Its a failing. Working on it. Probably a pretty good album, if you're better at listening to music than I, hit it up. Fans of comparatively-thinly ethnic, danceable music like Gogol Bordello might even like it 3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment