Tuesday, March 13, 2012

#489 Fleetwood Mac - Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac

Yeeeesss. This is why I do this project. Not to say that this album really rocked me all that hard, but I love these little revelations, these little missing links and pieces of history and filled-in missing piece in my general knowledge of rock.

Did you have any idea that Fleetwood Mac put out 10 records over the course of 9 years before they ever put out Rumours? Before Stevie Nicks ever got involved? Did you know that they were a straight up blues band? Did you know that they were the ones who originally did Black Magic Woman? I knew none of this, had no idea. How, this deep into my making-up-for-lost-time journey back into the 50's, 60's and 70's, am I still finding stuff like this out for the first time?

Seriously, I thought I had put the wrong album on when I first listened to it – this is up there with Genesis in terms of bands who changed their sound on their way to wild popularity, leaving a little-known trail back to their origins.

Again, this didn’t rock me that hard, the bluesy rock sound isn’t really in my wheelhouse, but for what it is, it’s pretty solid. The guitar sound is White Stripes righteous at times, and The World Keeps on Turning has veritable melodies of betwixt-note rattle and twang, up there with the best of them. You feel like you’re sitting, shrunk miniscule, right there in the body of the guitar, right there in the thick of it.

As this kind of thing goes, its straightforward, rock solid, well-executed, and only slightly overproduced in places. Not quite for me, but it might well be for you, don’t miss a chance to find out 3.5/5

You might like this if: you like bluesy, stompy rock. And seriously, if you’re any kind of student of rock and have never heard any early Fleetwood Mac, you ought to check this out, even if I’ve somewhat spoiled the surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment