Tuesday, February 28, 2012

#478 Stereophonics - Performance and Cocktails

On some 90's list!

I keep coming across "that 90's sound", and I think that means at least three different things. I'm not going to unpack it all here, but this is less Pavement angularism, less Dinosaur Jr sludge crunch, and more straight up Supergrass crunchy, all engines go, sea skipping rock. It's sunny, simple, repetitive, and bouncy, nary a difficult thing about it.

That said, it's not that they're not trying. As this kind of stuff goes, they endeavor to keep you on your toes and to keep your head bobbing - dig some of the surges on the verses of Half the Lies You Tell Ain't True as it propels ever upward.

This isn't my scene, but its a darn solid album for what it is. If I'd found it when it came out I probably would have loved it 3.5/5

You might like this if: you like your rock crunchy, uncomplicated, soaring; precise and deftly executed

No comments:

Post a Comment