Friday, October 14, 2011

#403 Jorge Ben - Africa Brasil

I'm not exactly sure how I came across this one, though I liked his previous Tropicalia-era stuff, and enjoyed Gil e Jorge, which came out just before this.

At its best, this is a pretty glorious, sun-drenched slice of something, with Portuguese crooning, skittery beats, bursts of guitar and organ prickling caipirinha cool, with the finest moments underscored by choruses of girls aaah-ing and la-la-ing. It's all Tarantino-ready groovy, with just enough exotic edge.

My main complaint is the goddamn cuica, with its HOO-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo HOO! Hoo! chirping intruding high in the mix on far too many songs. I know that its part of the samba sound and all, but man, I do not like that noise. On this album in particular it sounds like some kid playing with his toy on the track: it's not well-integrated, not in agreement with the tone of the song, decidedly superfluous, and often downright annoying. Honestly, it made plenty of tracks on here auto-skips for me going forward.

I know, I know, that's like complaining about guitars on a rock and roll song, but I'm sorry, I do not fucking like it. Where does that leave me? For the un-cuica-encumbered tracks, this is a hit. For the rest, its a miss, leading to an unsatisfying compromise landing roughly at 3/5

You might like this if: you like groovy, gorgeous, sunny tunes, and don't mind a sea of cuica cheeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment