Thursday, July 14, 2011

#377 Humble Pie - As Safe as Yesterday Is

I'm kind of on a 60's kick here, and my continued interest in The Small Faces lead me here, to Steve Mariott's jammier post-faces gig.

So jammy that some review I read (allmusic?) quipped that it was a shame they hadn' written any songs. I don't know when that was written, but that strikes me as unduly glib - there were certainly less well-formed bands out there, and here, sure, the songs are pretty organic, but there are backbones, basslines, and hooks to spare. And, I have to admit, some pretty sweet Frampton solos.

I also hear a lot of Zeppelin on here. The timelines are a bit too close for me to say with any certainty who inspired who, or if there was just some common ancestor, but there's plenty of riffs, proto-metal yowling, and flecks of mysticism. And I think I actually like it better than the early Zeppelin, its a bit freer, a bit more sincere, if less focused, with some experimental twists here and there. Has been good Somerville walkin around music, if nothing else 4/5

You might like this if: Easy answer? If you like Led Zeppelin and don't mind if things are a bit looser, this is probably a good bet. More broadly: 70's style riffs, straight outta 1969. Come'n get em.

No comments:

Post a Comment